July 20, 2011

Mid-Week Minute: Jumping on the Couponing Bandwagon

When I grocery shop, I've always tried to save money by buying things that are on sale, buying store brands, and using rewards cards but I am horrible at couponing. I used to never seek out coupons or even keep ones that were given to me with my receipts. I always considered those junky coupon flyers in the mail a nuisance whose only annoying purpose was to clog up my mailbox and fill up my garbage can. Even if I did happen to have a coupon with me, 9 times out of 10 I would forget to use it. Not that we have a ton of money to just throw away, but I never thought the little you could save with coupons was worth the time and effort it took to look for them, cut them out, and remember to use them. 

But, everything changed when I started buying baby food for some reason. I guess maybe I was feeling a little bit guilty for buying it instead of making it, so I started scouring every resource to find coupons for it and saving like treasures every baby food coupon I got with my grocery receipts. That switch in thinking has now started to carry over to my regular grocery shopping too. I'm still far from Extreme Couponing status but I actually took five minutes last night to go through the coupon flyer that came in the mail and found five coupons for my grocery store for items I buy all the time. I'm pretty proud of myself and will definitely be looking for and trying harder to remember to use coupons in the future. I mean, if you think about it, you're totally ripping yourself off when you pay full price for something that you can get for a little bit cheaper with just a little effort. 
So, yeah, I'm totally late jumping on this bandwagon but better late than never, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!