February 11, 2011

Life of Wilder: Week Eleven



Doesn't he look especially dapper this week, folks? :)

I cannot believe how much snow everyone back East is getting! I miss my family but I definitely don't miss winter weather. I don't know what Wilder and I will do if it doesn't get just a little warmer and sunnier by the time we come to visit. We'll probably both get sick, ugh! It will be worth it getting to see all our family and friends though. I am sooo looking forward to our trip!!

For the last week or so I tried pushing Wilder to 3 1/2 - 4 hours between feedings in hopes that he would sleep longer at night. My "What to Expect the First Year" book had suggested this but it also said that eating less during the day could have the opposite effect and actually make him want to eat more at night. Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference in his sleeping patterns either way. Some nights he only wakes up once or twice and some nights he wakes up every three hours no matter how I feed him during the day. I think for him it really depends on how active we've been that day. If we just bum around the house, he's not tired enough at night to sleep through. He's such an alert, active baby that he gets bored doing the same things all day. He really likes to go places and see new things and, especially if he misses his afternoon nap, this results in longer sleeping periods at night. Guess I'm just going to have to put aside my home-body tendencies and find stuff to keep us busy. I found a moms group to join so that should help. 

In that vein, we had a pretty busy weekend and week. On Saturday we went to a housewarming party at the home of a friend of Paul's from school. We were only going to drop by so they could meet the baby, but her Brazilian boyfriend was grilling and kept bringing all these delicious meats through for everyone to try so we ended up staying a couple of hours. Wilder had fun hanging out and staring at everyone. While we were there someone asked me if he was really sleeping through the night. That's the second person in a week who has said Paul told them that. I told them that Paul had misspoken... that he was the one sleeping through the night, not Wilder haha!

On Sunday we, along with 111 million other Americans, watched the Super Bowl. We were a house divided though -- Wilder and I were going for the Packers while Paul was unfortunate enough to be going for the Steelers, ha!

My boys watching their first Super Bowl together :)

On Monday Wilder and I had a play date with a friend from my old work and her 2-year-old son. When I was about 8 months pregnant she brought him into the office and told him that "Mrs. Emily has a baby in her belly" at which point he came around my desk and proceeded to stare at my bulging stomach with these huge wide eyes for, I'm not exaggerating, 10 whole minutes like he thought I was just hiding the baby under my shirt and he would come out to play any second. It was the most hilarious, uncomfortable thing that happened to me the whole pregnancy. She literally had to drag him away, haha! So anyway, it was fun to get to finally introduce him to that elusive baby who he calls "Wi-uh-duh." 

My friend Brandie, her son Junior, and Wilder...
Yes, his name is Junior (!) and yes, he's in 
his underpants... They're a little different ;)
Oh, and yes, she's the "well-meaning coworker"

On Tuesday Wilder and I (mostly I) started a craft project. I always see these cute onesies with things appliqued onto them but they look so simple I wanted to try it myself before buying anything. I remembered my friend and fellow blogger, Tiffany, had posted a while back about applique-ing a Thanksgiving shirt for her daughter so I got instructions from her website and then Wilder and I went to JoAnn Fabrics and Target for supplies. Sidenote: I love taking Wilder places. He's so darn cute everyone wants to talk baby talk to him and he gives them the biggest grins. I just love him! Anyway, after I put him to bed that night, I started on my applique project and it is SO easy that I've been doing it every night since. I've made him three adorable onesies and another that I'm giving someone as a gift. I'm generally fairly crafty (craft-y, not crafty like a fox haha) but not when it comes to working with fabric so I was pretty happy with my creations and I will definitely be making more. 


We went to that Baby Yoga class a couple of weeks ago but Wilder was a little too young for it, so I've been looking for a Mommy and Me yoga class ever since and finally found one at a studio just down the street from our house. We went on Wednesday and it was exactly what I've been needing. We started out doing just regular yoga poses, then did modified poses that incorporated the babies, and ended with baby massage. I definitely recommend it for any new mom -- it's a fun workout and really promotes bonding with your baby. Dork alert: Just for something to do yesterday, I made a short video demonstrating some of the poses we learned in class in case anybody wants to give it a try. 


Oh, and here's an "only in California" moment for you. When I got to the yoga class I suddenly remembered that, in my rush to get out of the house that morning, I hadn't put on deodorant and I was a little embarrassed. But then the teacher had us go around the room and introduce ourselves and our babies. Among the group were little ones named Taj (as in Taj Mahal), Piper, and Reef (who was wearing a tie-dyed onesie and tie-dyed socks) so I'm pretty sure those hippie moms didn't care that I wasn't wearing deodorant because they probably weren't either. Not that I really have any place talking about other people's babies' names (I sure don't know any other Wilders), but come on... Reef? Oh, how I love Southern California! :)

Yesterday was a weird day. Wilder was ultra-sensitive and didn't want me to put him down at all, not on his play mat or his Pack n' Play or even his changing table, which he usually loves. If Rider barked he would start crying and I even accidentally made him cry by making this weird sound at him in an attempt to make him smile/laugh. :( I felt so awful! So we didn't do much besides rock in the recliner, make our dorky yoga video, and take the dogs to the park. 

He seems better today thank goodness. We're going to wrap up this blog post and then walk down the street to the park, lay out in the sun, and enjoy living in the "warm" spot. 

So, I know my parents love seeing videos of Wilder and Paul's mom specifically asked me this week to post another video so here's a cute clip for your entertainment. I was in the kitchen making lunch one day this week and Wilder was playing in his Pack n' Play. He was obviously having a grand old time because for like 15 minutes I could hear him in there just talking away to all his toys. Finally I remembered to record it and I managed to capture a few minutes of it without him knowing. Have I mentioned how much I love this little guy? He just brightens my whole life up :)


Here are some more cute pictures from this week:


Wilder and his guard dog/foot rest

Helping Mama grocery shop

Daddy blowing on his belly

Well, I hope everyone has a great weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE Wilder's onesies! You are so talented, I'm jealous :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The onesies are SO cute- way cuter than mine! ha! But thanks for mentioning me anyway. I have made a few more too and am planning to make a bunch for Ryder. I love these week to week posts, and Wilder seriously could not be any cuter!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!