June 19, 2011

Father's Day

I am one very lucky girl. I am so blessed to call one of the best men in the world my father and another one of the best the father of my child. Words can't fully express how much love I have for these two men or how absolutely wonderful I think they both are but I'll certainly try.
Growing up, I was always secure in the knowledge that my dad would protect me and that my brother and I were the most important things in the world to him. He went out of his way to spend time with us, always coaching our teams, taking us on trips, and being willing to join us in or make possible anything we wanted to participate in. He has always been interested in my life and, although at times I took this as nosiness, I am so thankful for the attention and encouragement he gave me because, I see now, the confidence and sense of self-worth this helped instill in me. My dad is one of the funniest people I know. Sometimes... OK, a lot of times he mortified me in front of my friends with his Ricky Ricardo impressions or silly sayings and I wanted to kill him or die myself (in those overly-dramatic teenage years); but, looking back, I just feel lucky that he cared enough to want to entertain us or make us laugh. He never made me feel like he was too busy for me and I am so grateful for the love he always made so obvious. He is also a wonderful grandfather to Wilder. It has been such a blessing to see his enormous love for me expand even more to wrap around my son. I just know Wilder is going to adore his Granddaddy as he grows up. My dad is one of the most intelligent, strong, honest, and kind people I've ever known and I am so blessed to have him in my life. Happy Father's Day, Daddy! I love you!

I also want to wish a very happy 1st Father's Day to my husband. I have been in awe the last six months watching him turn into the amazing father he is to Wilder. His priorities have shifted to make room at the top for family responsibilities and there is no doubt his son is the most important thing in the world to him. I am so thankful that Wilder will always be confident in that knowledge just like I was growing up. Paul works so ridiculously hard in school but each day he makes a point to spend time with Wilder -- either getting up early for morning play time or coming home early to see him before bedtime. They absolutely adore each other and both light up when they see each other. It melts my heart to watch them playing together, to hear Paul making Wilder laugh, and to see my husband moved to tears because of his overwhelming love for his child. I am so excited to watch them grow closer and closer through the years with that special bond that exists between a father and a son. I feel so incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful husband and father for my child. Wilder and I love you, Paul!

I'd also like to say Happy Father's Day to my father-in-law. He is one of the most caring and good-hearted men I know and his influence is part of the reason my husband is such a good man. He has always treated me like his own daughter and it makes me so happy to see the relationship he is actively building with his grandson. I am so thankful for him in our lives. We love you, Mr. Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!