January 28, 2012

Wilder's First Beach Experience

Thursday it was in the 80's here so I was determined to take Wilder to the beach for the first time. I know, I know, you're thinking Um, he's 14 months old and you live in San Diego... Why is he just now going to the beach?? Well, when summer came around this past year Wilder was in the belly-crawling phase, which would not be conducive to beach-going, plus Paul is not a big fan of the beach so if I met friends there, I would have to lug all the equipment, etc. out there by myself, plus Wilder is so fair-skinned I was totally paranoid about him burning. 

So, now that Wilder's walking and it's easier for me to handle him and all his accoutrements by myself and I've gotten over a little of the sunburn paranoia (don't get me wrong, I still slather him with sunscreen, put a swim shirt with SPF in it on him, and make him wear a hat) I decided it was high time for this California dude to be introduced to the wonders of the beach. Unfortunately, Paul's opinion of the beach hasn't changed (and it was a school day) so I knew I was going to have to do it by myself. It was too last minute to call anyone to go with us so I took him to a really low-key beach that I had driven by numerous times but never been to. Not having to fight crowds and schlep beach supplies for miles made the trip more doable. No one else was there except a couple with a dog down the beach. It was the perfect place to get Wilder used to the sand and waves.

He loved the sand of course...
 But walking in it took some getting used to.
He wasn't sure what to think about the waves and at first seemed downright apprehensive about them.
But I helped him walk into them and he was fine after that. He loved to stomp his feet in the water and put his hands down in it.
There was also so much to look at and point to -- boats, seagulls, the dog down the beach.
And then, all of a sudden, I hear someone yelling my name. ?? At first I thought they were calling for some other Emily but then I heard it again and looked up to the top of the hill and there was my friend, Rachel! She and her husband had brought Lexi and their dog, Millie, to that exact vacant beach out of all the beaches in San Diego at the exact same time we were there. It was totally bizarre and I still cannot get over how random it was to see each other there. But it was fun to have a little impromptu play date.
Wilder and I both had such a good time and I can't wait to take him back a lot over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!