October 8, 2010

Life These Days

First of all, I just want to acknowledge my sweet husband's 27th birthday, which was yesterday. I've been so blessed to know him for the past 12 years and feel so lucky every day to be his wife. He's one of the best men I know and I know he is going to be an amazing father. 

Well people, the countdown has begun. We have just under 7 weeks until we are no longer a family of two and our lives are changed forever. The carseat came in the mail today and we'll be installing it in the car pretty soon; we have interviews with pediatricians lined up; our newborn care class is tomorrow; after my next appointment with the midwife I'll start going back every week; and baby Wilder's insistent kicks plus occasional Braxton-Hicks contractions are a constant reminder to me that he's getting ready to make his appearance. 

Speaking of kicks, this little guy's movements are really starting to get out of control. I read somewhere that he's supposed to be sleeping 90% of the time, but I feel him squirming around, stretching, and jabbing me during way more than 10% of the day. It is hands-down the most amazing thing I've ever experienced and I can't get enough of it. It takes my breath away both because it's so awesome and because a swift kick to the ribs will do that to you. Sometimes I'll look down and see what's clearly a foot poke out and then move three or four inches along the top of my belly. Other times my belly looks like it's the epicenter of an earthquake. 

I've been doing kick counts for the last three weeks per my midwife. That's where you pick a time of day when the baby is active and try to count 10 kicks in an hour. Let me tell you, with the hyper baby I'm carrying, 10 kicks in an hour is laughable... I usually get 10 kicks in 2 minutes. If I count during a not-so-active time of day it may take up to 10 minutes but it's never taken longer than that. This kid is crazy busy in there! I keep telling myself he must just have cabin fever and hopefully he'll mellow out a little once he arrives. :)

We have our newborn care class tomorrow morning and I'm super excited about it. I'm hoping now I can stop feeling like Paul, since his daddy bootcamp class, is the only one in this house who knows what the heck to do with an infant. I mean, I'm pretty sure I've changed a diaper before but not in recent memory and the art of swaddling frankly looks a little intimidating. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to getting in some practice and some Q&A time with a knowledgeable instructor. 

My mom was asking tonight if I felt any bigger and I definitely do. Wilder is gaining weight rapidly these days. When we had our 3D ultrasound a week ago he weighed approximately 4 lbs. 11 oz. and I'm pretty sure by now he's tipping the scale at at least 5 lbs. So do I feel bigger? Um, yes definitely, and let me just show you... Here's Wilder and me at 33 weeks 1 day: 
Well, that's all for now. I need to go do some yoga after looking at this picture. ;) Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!