September 30, 2010

"Next Time You See Us, We'll Have a Baby!"

Paul and I had a great trip home this past week. We did a lot but it wasn't too exhausting like previous trips have been. This time we got people together for meals instead of going to each individual house to visit and that helped a lot. Still, next trip (with the baby) will definitely have to be the start of the open house thing where people come by to see us. 

We got into Nashville Wednesday night and our first stop on the way to Jackson was dinner at Cracker Barrel. I told myself I was not going to eat on this trip like I did on the last one, but this meal wasn't a promising start to that resolution. Granted, we had been traveling all day so all I had eaten was a fruit and yogurt cup, a cup of soup, and some crackers. Baby Wilder was kicking me for some real food so for dinner I ordered Chicken Fried Chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes with gravy, macaroni and cheese, steamed carrots, and cornbread. And I didn't just order it, I devoured every bite. It was totally worth gaining a pound or two for sure. 

On Thursday my mom and I had a fun girls day full of mani/pedi's and shopping. Then that night, Paul and I went out to eat with my best friend, Jinny, and her family. Her little girl, Aniston, is 3 1/2 and she was too cute. She wanted to sit between Paul and me so she could talk to me, and at one point she said, "Do you miss me very much?" I really do :) Love these girls! 

Friday night Paul's paternal grandparents had us over to their house for dinner with Paul's dad, sister and brother-in-law, and my parents. As usual, Mama Sue fixed a true Southern smorgasbord for dinner including steak, chicken, okra, cheesy potatoes, salad, rolls, and de-lic-ious homemade strawberry cake. Another blow to my resolution but, again, totally worth it. 

Paul and me with his sister, Audra, and brother-in-law, Michael
Paul and me with his grandparents and dad
And with my parents

On Saturday we left bright and early to drive to Starkville for the MSU/GA game with our good friend, Russell. We got there around lunchtime and tailgated until the game started at 6:30. We hadn't seen our friends, Kristin and Richard, since our trip home last September so it was really great to see them and get to hang out. And, our Bulldogs won the game that night so that made the day even better! Being in that packed-out stadium brought back such great memories and I loved hearing all those cowbells in person instead of on TV from across the country. 

Paul and me with Kristin and Richard
Yeah, it was just a little hot
Paul and Russell (Way to ruin the picture, Paul!)
Maroon! White! Fight fight fight!

We got back to Jackson around 1:00 am Saturday night and then on Sunday there was a shower for baby Wilder at Jinny's house. I was a little tired but the shower was sooo nice and all the details were super cute! Jinny and my friend Celia did an awesome job putting it together and I got to see a lot of people there that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. Not to mention, we received so many nice gifts, as well as gift cards that we'll be able to use to buy the things we need to complete the nursery. It was a great day and I feel so blessed to know so many caring people who already love little Wilder. :)

My beautiful sister-in-law and me
Wilder's four great-grandmothers chatting
All the nice gifts (yes, that is a six-foot long alligator and yes, we did manage to get him back to San Diego... crammed into a suitcase, poor thing!)
Cute decorations and yummy food
My mom, grandmother, and me
My sweet mother-in-law and me with the crown and wand she made me :)
My grandmother and me
The lovely hostesses and me

On Monday we ran some errands, started packing (we came back with twice as much stuff as we went with so this required some planning ahead), and went swimming at my grandmother's pool. That was one of my favorite things to do as a child so it was super relaxing. I can't wait to take Wilder there on our next trip. That night we went out to eat with Paul's maternal grandparents and his mom. The food was so delicious and it was really nice to get to visit with them and listen to their stories. 

Tuesday we were going to Memphis to meet my brother for dinner so we drove up a little early and got to see our good friend, Megan, and her new little baby, Mason. We hadn't seen her in a year so it was fun to get to visit and hold the baby, if just for a little while. Then we went and ate some awesome BBQ with my brother and his girlfriend, my parents, and my grandmother. 

Megan, Mason, and me
Paul and baby Mason... seeing him made us really excited for Wilder to be here soon!
Yum... eating at Central BBQ in Memphis

We flew back to San Diego yesterday and the dogs were super excited to see us. We were glad to be home, but it was really hard to leave Tennessee. Everybody we saw I would say, "The next time you see us, we'll have a baby!" That was so weird to think about. We love it out here and wouldn't change a thing, but we're kind of sad not to be around all of our family during this special time in our lives. 

I'm 32 weeks today so we only have 2 months to go. It seems like the last 8 months have flown by so I know the next 8 weeks really will. We have a 4D ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow morning and I can't wait to see his little face. :) I'll post pictures when we get home. OK, now I've got to go get some unpacking and laundry done. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!