May 7, 2012

Full Circle

Have you ever had a moment where you just stopped and looked around you and said, This. This moment is perfect. This is where I'm supposed to be.? I had one of those moments the other day. The kind that you desperately wish to freeze in a snow globe and keep forever but you know that you can't and the transience of it makes it that much more precious. 

Wilder and I were outside in the yard. I was sitting in a chair in the sun. There was a nice little breeze doing battle with the hot UV rays. There were birds chirping in the trees and eating from the bird feeder. The dogs were lazing in the shade. I could smell the roast cooking in the crockpot in my kitchen. And across the yard there was the most perfect little blonde boy kicking a ball. When he saw me watching him he laughed and ran over to me for a sip of water and then ran off again. This

I remember almost two years ago sitting in the same chair in the sun in a different yard. Five months pregnant with that little blonde boy I was enjoying feeling his kicks and daydreaming about the future. Of course I was looking forward to holding his tiny little newborn self in my arms but what I was really anticipating were the days when I could take him out into the yard and watch him run around and explore like I did as a child. 

The other day when I was watching my now 17-month-old doing just that I suddenly felt like I had jumped into my vision from that day two years ago. Being out in the sunshine with my son was such a simple moment. But that simple moment was sweetened by my cherished childhood memories and elevated by the knowledge that this moment was once only dreamed of, it was aspired to, and now it was happening. It's a moment that will stay with me forever as one of just a few totally perfect moments in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting!